Wednesday, September 11, 2013

More Blogtember (and a day late, at that)

Tuesday, September 10: Describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn.

There are many such moments in all of our lives, I believe, but given all my concerns about career-related matters, the moment where I became convinced to pursue this life path is the one that sticks out in my mind the most right now. 

Until the middle of my senior year of high school (in fact, shortly before application season started up), I was convinced that my pursuit of higher education would be in some literary or other humanities field - if not writing, which I was always nervous about given my harsh self-criticism, then at least in analysis of some kind. I did, however, try to keep my schedule as balanced as possible, and given the competitive nature of my school I was in quite a few AP-level courses. 

One of those was a physics course I took with one of my favorite teachers, and he was very keen on sharing his passions, and how physics fit into them. When he first started showing us various engineering principles in action, I didn't give it much thought. But once we were all immersed in the material, there was a moment where everything clicked and I found I really enjoyed it. I was just sitting at a desk trying to work out a problem with the other students at my table and I realized I was really enjoying myself. Working through the problem didn't feel like a slog, it was challenging and it was engaging. I did some more research on different disciplines of engineering and in mere weeks I was sending out applications to engineering schools, all those English and Comp-Lit programs fallen by the wayside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment