This one's easy - I've got pretty simple tastes, I feel.
Harry's Blades
I've always been on the lookout for a better shaving experience, partly because there's something very grown-up feeling about being diligent about one's grooming, and partly because I've got somewhat sensitive skin and I'd rather not destroy it with cheap razors and the like. Harry's is a really inexpensive way to get a much better shave than I'd ever had before. You can even set it up so that fresh razors are sent to you at an interval you choose, making sure you'll never run out. Pictured above is the Truman set, which I've been making good use of for a couple of months now.
Frank & Oak
I won't lie, I probably wouldn't have given F&O another look if it weren't for their Hunt Club - every month when a new collection comes out, you pick three items, they're sent to your home, you have a few days to try them on, and whatever you don't like you send back (and you're only charged for what you keep). Being able to accumulate store credit and their regular sales mean you can easily try out new things without the fear of being stuck with something that doesn't work on you at all. Pictured above is one of the first items I ever got from them (and that I instantly fell in love with) - a simple blue merino wool cardigan.
Good Old Games
I was always a video game nerd, and I never had a particularly good computer until late in my college years. Thus, I ended up turning to DOS games and other old programs, knowing they were A.) cheap and B.) almost certain to work on my computer. I'd get them used, and that was hit-or-miss, but there were occasionally really amazing ones that I'd become almost obsessed with. Once the store near my old house that sold those used games went out of business, it was impossible to find those old games... until GOG.com started up. Founded by the Polish game studio CD Projekt (as a labor of love paid for by the revenues from their first blockbuster video game, The Witcher), GOG gets the rights to old computer games that are out of print and offers people a legitimate way to purchase them. They've also recently gotten into the indie game market as well. The above is one of my favorite childhood games, one that was pretty much impossible to procure until GOG came around. I'll be grateful to them for a while for the many grand nostalgia moments the site has allowed me to enjoy.


No comments:
Post a Comment