Friday, September 13, 2013

Thursday, September 12: Discuss ways that blogging or social media has changed you. (late again)

Short (and late) post, so I apologize in advance.

I feel like the effect it's had on me is one that is pretty common to most of my generation, or at least those who pay attention to the internet at all. I'm more impulsive and much more conscious of any and all feedback (and sometimes get worked up over minor things). The most far-reaching thing, however, is how it's impacted the way I express my opinions, online or in person. The internet is a dangerous place to be passionate about anything, and I feel like a lot of people adopt a sarcastic, detached tone even about things they care about just to avoid the possible reprisals people have against those who are too sincere (and getting blasted by people policing how much you care can be just as bad as flame wars based on differences of opinion). I'm definitely a victim of that affected detachment and sarcasm, and that definitely spills over into real life, though being conscious of it means I work against it whenever I do catch myself starting to go into that mode of thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment